Thursday, November 27, 2008

Coffeehouse Northwest Kids: KUDOS!!

Coffeehouse Northwest (1) is located on the north side of W. Burnside near PGE Park.  Right across from a Starbucks, actually.  Classy, Starbucks, classy.  But anyway.  C-Ho NW is famous around Portland (and I think maybe the US) for it's $4 Mexican hot chocolate (2).  It's thick, delicious drinking chocolate.  They're also frequently written about for their beautiful and amazingly tasty coffee.  They are not, however, mentioned for their baristas.  And that's dumb.  Today is Thanksgiving and every single one of the (currently) all male barista team was there this morning and so happy about it.  Every year on Thanksgiving, Coffeehouse Northwest is open all morning and everything (EVERYTHING: coffee, tea, danishes, everything!) is free.  They have a big glass jar for people to throw cash in which all goes to charity and all the employees work for free that day.  
In true all-boy style, I received a mass text last night informing me about this great event.  When I got there, every seat was taken by hipsters, businessmen, coffee nerds and reg. joes just in need of something hot to drink on a really cold Portland day.  Basically, all the people who didn't have to cook this morning.  And who can blame them?  I'll hang out in a cafe for charity any day.  
I had four dollars in my wallet so I threw it into the vat of cash and ordered a small latte.  "For here?" the barista asked me like he was inviting me to dinner.  I had to go home and make pie, but I was suddenly sad about it.  These guys probably aren't great cooks or homeowners, but damn, they make good coffee and this was the Thanksgiving feast they were preparing for anyone who wanted to share it with them.  
I asked my friend who'd texted me how it was going so far.  It's always pretty busy, but it was especially packed today.  He told me it was great, that who doesn't like spending Thanksgiving with people you like?  Then he chatted with me about sweet potato chips for a while even though there was a ton of work to be done around him.  It was just like when my stepmom hosts holidays and makes everyone feel welcome even though she's working her ass off.  
They made my latte for me super fast and even though they weren't getting tipped, or even paid, it had a perfect tulip milk design in the foam.  I was feeling sort of homesick for my family on my way to the coffee house, but when I left it was like leaving a friend's house.  A friend's house with free caffein!   So, C-Ho kids, just in case no one's told you: you are fabulous with great hearts and mad delicious skills.  THANKS!

1. The C-Ho or CoHo, as it is often lovingly referred to.  
2. Yep, a ho-cho from the CoHo!  They don't really think this hilarious joke is funny though, just to warn you.  

No comments: