Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Embarrassment Deserves Company

One of the most thoughtful and classy people I know recently got drunk and embarrassed herself at a bar. The next day she shamefully explained to me how she got kicked out for purposely messing with the speakers for the show that night. She didn't even know why she'd done it. Someone else told her, "You don't even want to know what else you did last night."
But I do! I think these stories need to be shared. Who the hell knows why we do these things, but when* we do it sure is comforting to hear about other people doing similarly stupid things. I told my friend about another friend of mine who puked on herself while sitting at the bar while home for the holidays. Oh bring me some figgy puking?
And how I recently got kicked out of a bar for bringing my own beer. What am I? An alcoholic Great Depression survivor?
I felt a little guilty about telling the puking story. Was it mine to tell? I admitted to my friend I'd shared her story, but then just told her my other friend's story. What is wrong with me?!
I talked to my Christmas puker friend just today and she reported another good friend of ours had gotten drunk at a wedding recently and was feeling embarrassed about it. She said she told her my friend's story about getting kicked out for commandeering the sound control. Maybe neither of these stories were mine to tell, and maybe it's wrong to perpetuate embarrassing stories. But each time these stories got told, they made someone feel better for making a fool of themselves. So maybe we didn't humiliate ourselves in vain. Or at least, we're in respectable company. When my yuletide yaker** friend told my wasted wedding friend about my sloshed show-stopping friend, the wedding-goer insisted that another story of another friend get passed back through the line. This friend got so drunk and impatient that she slipped behind the bar and pretended to be a bartender there. She probably could have done a good job too, but was busted when she stole a swig of some unsuspecting patron's beer. The guy was apparently pissed*** and made a scene. But who hasn't, at one time or another, made a scene in a bar? What goes around, comes around. And I think that's comforting to know.

*WHEN, not if
**Forgive me! Forgive me you all!
***And not just British 'pissed'

No comments: