Thursday, June 30, 2011

Old friends, older skin

I think I was 19, maybe 20 when facebook appeared in the college sphere, so I've moved, changed jobs, schools, friend circles many times since those early days of the fb. So, like many people my age, I have fb friends I don't recognize when I see their pictures. I'm not one of those fb purgers who periodically surges with mad power and evicts 'friends' from my facebook,* so I have a lot of these unrecognizables.

BUT: I can't help but wonder, am I unique in the amount of old friends-turned-female body builders I've accumulated and forgotten over the evolution of facebook? It's not that I don't remember these people. I do. I know we lived in the same building, or took a class together**, or something. But when I see their pictures, they are so tanned and chiseled that I have NO IDEA who they are. I see their name and think, "how odd to have a picture of a black woman as your profile pic. I don't think I understand the ironic joke going on here....oh wait." .

Oh wait. That is you who I used to know. You are obviously not an fb purger either. Our commonalities may end there. Do you still know people like me? Do they mock you? They must if they are like me. How do you get along with them? Do I still know people like you? Do they secretly hate me? Do I mind?

I think I'm excited for you.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I am.

Not enough to fb you though. I'll just write about you behind your back. Friends I have now who are closeted body builders...hmm. Deal?

*or Face Page, as my mom calls it
**PE, I think, which strikes me as especially...something.

No comments: