Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I love new year's resolutions.  I'm not religious at all and I love Lent too.  I have very little discipline in my life, so I appreciate it where I can get it.  There is just something so wonderfully cathartic about compartmentalizing all my slouching, gluttonous TV watching, slutty trysts and general failure to grow up to "2008."  
**Sigh.**
All that said, I am making my list of new year's resolutions today, January 4th.  Classy.  

Get the Hell Out of Portland (in the mean time greatly improve my Ptown situation)
This was a pre-xmas determination and actually makes a lot of sense mostly because Portland is expensive and I'm applying to grad school out of state.  I hate my current living situation because my roommates are a fiery artistic couple who forget I live here and might need a place to cook, or shower, or sit, or do my laundry, or walk, and thus leave their shit everywhere or re-caulk the shower three times in one week or don't mind that we have mice and ants because they drop food all over the place.  Um, anyway.  This is already partially fulfilled!  I'm moving out February 1st!  Now how to tell them....
This resolution also includes applying for better jobs here and elsewhere.  

Become Less Awkward
This one I actually made at about 1:00 or 2:00 AM on January 1st whilst still celebrating the new year at a friend's party.  After dancing much with my favorite member of the party's main band, said cutest member slapped me five while we passed between rooms.  I kept walking while he interlocked our fingers--an attempt to get me to stop and talk and flirt with him?  Probably!  But I'll never know since I pulled away and kept walking.   

WRITE WRITE WRITE
So...I want to be a writer, but alas with the discipline!  I need to set up a strict schedule and keep to it.  I joined a writing group, but they seem a little weird...supposedly beggars can't be choosers, but I think I'm giving up that mentality for 2009 as well.  

Wear Skirts/Dresses More
I stole this one from a friend because it's just fun.  All too often I chose functionality over what I really want to wear and that's dumb.  Days are better when you have a little swoosh in your step.  

Stand Up Straight
I'm a sloucher and this one is ALWAYS on my list.  I don't consider myself very vain, but I don't want to have a hump when I'm old.  

Cook!
Again, functionality over fun.  I eat to stay alive, but I should learn to make something delicious besides sandwiches.  Probably.  

Hmm, I wrote less and less as the list went on.  Resolutions are fun, but tiring.  
We'll see!

No comments: