Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oh 2009...

Ten days into my new year (remember, mine started January 4th) and a lot has happened.  I'm moving.  I kissed the cute boy.  I registered for the GRE.  It's too cold for a skirt but I wore red heels for no reason.  I quit the writing group I joined.  I haven't been standing up very straight, but I am at this very moment.  Whoo.  I'm such a hard worker.  

Big things, fun and scary new things to dot in old patterns of always things, but the best things are two of my favorite people who send me news and poems from across the country and across the Atlantic.  

My 20-year-running best friend sends out craigslist missed connections ads to the world to tell people she likes their scarves, the way they wear their hair, just that she saw them picking up litter and appreciated it.  "Finally, a way to express my love for total strangers!" She exclaimed to me when she discovered this publicly recognized alternative to hugging random passersby.  So finally!  How better to start the year, than to see someone so loving get a little back.  Her cool scarf-wearing, craigslist-complimenting doppleganger posted about her pretty hair and adorable smile in the missed connections.  A match made in cyberheaven?  I'm just saying, only inviting people to your wedding through craigslist could be kind of fun(/terrifying!) .   

Another wonderful friend whom I don't get to see often lately has also contributed more than he knows to my new year.  When I told my friend abroad I quit writing group because it was too regimented and too uncreative he suggested we send each other work on every day in the month with a 3 in it.  It's sporadically and crazily regimented, which I love.  I clean and pay bills and stop drinking caffeine in bipolar spurts of gusto which I forget later, only to revamp when I'm struck by fear or boredom or...anything really.  I need more discipline in my writing, but I don't want to stifle it with too much discipline.  This way I get needed kicks in the ass, but I'm not completely tied to these and only these deadlines.  It's the same reason I love people who measure times in 'ish.'  These people get things done, but they're not insane about it.  Plus, I get poems in my inbox at least three times a month.  Very few things are better than that.

Let's hope I keep this all up.   

1 comment:

D. Clausen said...

deadline fast approaching...!